web analytics
Life Philippines

Applying For Australian Visitor Visa Subclass 600 General Pt 1

The Australian Visitor Visa Subclass 600 lets you travel to Australia to:

  • have a holiday or visit family and friends

Australian Immigration will tell you how many times you can enter the country on this visa:

  • You may be allowed to enter only once. If so, you will need to apply for a new visa if you want to return to Australia again after you leave.
  • You may be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid, but the time you spend in Australia cannot be more than the period of stay that you have been granted.

If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. Your visa is linked to the passport number you used in your application and you must use the same passport to travel to Australia.

There is an application charge for this visa which is not usually refunded if the application fails or is withdrawn.
In addition you will have to bear all additional costs such as medical, courier and the costs of lodgement at a Via Centre found in either:
Metro Manila
3rd Floor, Allegro Center
2284 Chino Roces Extension
Barangay Magallanes
Makati City,
Metro Manila 1231 Philippines
Metro Cebu
Unit 1004-B, 10/F Keppel Center
Samar Loop cor Cardinal Rosales Ave
Cebu Business Park,Cebu City
The opening hours for both are:
8:30am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday – For lodging applications
8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday – For general information
8:00am to 11:30am, Saturday – For lodging applications and general information.
The Centres are closed on a majority of Philippine public holidays.The VIA Centres have computer facilities and provides free internet browsing for visa and citizenship clients on DIAC’s websites. Clients may also, for a small charge, download and print forms and information.

This visa has two streams that are applicable to this article, namely

    Tourist stream: for people traveling to Australia for a holiday, recreation or to visit family and friends. If you apply for this visa in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is decided. If you apply for this visa outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

A Tourist must be in the country for the purposes described above and my be required to furnish proof of their itinerary, whilst there.

You might be granted a visa under this stream for regular extended visits to Australia if you are either:

  • the parent or step-parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • the parent of an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Visitor visas for parents of Australians

Due to the length of the permanent Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue, and the desirability of family reunion, the department may grant a more generous Visitor visa. You will automatically be considered for this if you are a parent or step-parent of:

  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • an eligible New Zealand Citizen
    • Eligibility for Certificate of Status for New Zealand Citizens in Australia (CSNZCA)To be eligible for a CSNZCA, you must be an Eligible New Zealand Citizen.You are an Eligible New Zealand Citizen if you are a New Zealand citizen who at the time of your last entry to Australia would have met your health and character checks and:
      • held a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa on 26 February 2001
      • held a Subclass 444 visa that was in force for at least one year in the two years before 26 February 2001, or
      • has a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, that states the citizen, for the purposes of the Social Security Act, was residing in Australia on a particular date (Centrelink stopped accepting applications for these certificates on 26 February 2004).

We will consider these applications on a case-by-case basis and can grant visas that last up to:

  • five years for parents outside Australia who are in the Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue
  • three years for parents outside Australia who have had a previous Australian visa and complied with the visa conditions, and either:
    • have not applied for a Parent visa
    • have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue
  • 18 months for parents who have not previously traveled to Australia and either
    • have not applied for a Parent visa, or
    • have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue.

    The visa will have 3 extra visa conditions:

  • Maximum 12 month stay in 18 months: You cannot stay in Australia for more than 12 months on any visit or for more than 12 months in any 18-month period.
  • Health insurance: You must maintain fully comprehensive health insurance while you are in Australia. You could be asked to provide evidence of 12 months health insurance cover when you apply. Reciprocal health arrangements are not adequate to meet this requirement.
  • No further stay: You cannot apply for a new visa while you are in Australia. This condition may be waived in exceptional circumstances.
    Sponsored Family stream: for people travelling to Australia to visit their family. They must have a sponsor who might be asked to provide a bond, and will guarantee that the applicant will leave Australia before their visa expires. Must be outside Australia when application is made and when the visa is decided. Cannot apply for another visa after you have arrived in Australia

A sponsor must:

  • Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • be older than 18 years of age
  • have been settled in Australia for a reasonable period (usually more than 2 years).You must also be one of the following:
  • a relative of the applicant (partner, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or the ‘step’ or adopted equivalent of any of these)
  • a relative of a person who is a member of the applicant’s family unit and who is also applying for a Visitor visa (such as the partner of your brother or sister).
  • You cannot be a sponsor for more than one person at the same time, unless they are the member of the same family unit. A family unit is made up of the head of the family, their partner and their dependent children. Other relatives may be included in the family unit if they are fully dependent on the head of the family.
  • If you have already sponsored a visitor, you must wait until their visa ceases before applying to be a sponsor again, unless your next sponsorship is for a member of the family unit of someone you are currently sponsoring.
  • If you have previously sponsored a visitor and your visitor did not abide by the conditions of their visa, you will normally not be able to sponsor another visitor in the same visa class for five years.In addition, applicants in the Sponsored Family stream may be sponsored by:
    • a member of an Australian parliament
    • an authorised person representing an Australian Government or Australian state or territory government department or agency
    • a local government mayor.

However don’t expect to get that kind of sponsorship easily, As it usually only applies on humanitarian grounds.